How to Install Windows 8.1 on Virtual Machine with Oracle VirtualBox: Windows 8.1 is the most up-to-date version of Windows. This version is available as test version only. The final version will releasing anytime in the near future. Just like most of geeks, you must be willing to try the test version. Well, if you consider Microsoft’s advise anything to go with, then you should install Windows 8.1 Public Preview only if you are an ‘experienced’ PC user. Being not so, you may face serious issues with your PC. By the way, there is no guarantee that nothing bad will happen if you are an ‘expert’. After all, it’s test version, so of course, chances are quite high that it might be having bugs in it. But if you still want to continue, check out this guide about installing Windows 8.1 on your PC.
Oh! So you are stubborn that you don’t care about the issues that can arise, and still want to install Windows 8.1 on your PC? Well, I have a good solution for you. The solution is – install Windows 8.1 on Virtual Machine with VirtualBox. I call this method as ‘smart’ method, because by this, you can taste the Windows 8.1 on your computer without having any fear of losing data or any other damage to your PC. Through this method, you will be able to install this Windows 8.1 operating system on your PC running on any other Windows OS such as Windows 7, Vista, XP, and Windows 8. That means, you can install it virtually within your current operating system with the help of a virtualization software called VirtualBox. The below written guide will teach you about how to install Windows 8.1 on your PC virtually using Oracle VirtualBox:
How to Install Windows 8.1 on Virtual Machine with VirtualBox
- Of course, in order to do this task, you need to have VirtualBox installed on your PC. Download it from here, and install it right away, if you have not had it already.
- You also need to download the ISO File of Windows 8.1 Public Preview. It’s up to you to choose any from 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 8.1. You can download the Windows 8.1 ISO file from here.
- Run the VirtualBox on your PC. Click on ‘New’. In the dialog that reads ‘Create Virtual Machine’, enter the name of operating system as ‘Windows 8.1′.
- Clicking on ‘Next’ will take you to next window which is about allocating memory to the virtual machine. Minimum recommended is 2GB.
- In the next window, make sure to select the radio button that reads Create virtual hard drive now.
- Now you are required to define the Hard Drive file type that you wish to use. From all available options, select ‘VDI (VirtualBox disk image)’.
- In the next step, which is about ‘Storage on physical hard drive’, select the radio button that has the option ‘Fixed Size’. Now hit the ‘Next’.
- Done till this point? Now select the location where you want to save the virtual machine. Save it anywhere you wish to. In this step itself, you are required to define the maximum size of virtual machine. Minimum recommended is 40GB. Click on ‘Create’.
- Now, in the manager, select the button ‘Start’. In the Window that reads ‘Select start-up disk’, select the ISO file of Windows 8.1 that you downloaded earlier.
- Now the installation process is the same that you follow while installing Windows 8.1 with DVD. For well-explained installation process, you should read out the article ‘How to Download & Install Windows 8.1 Blue on Your Computer [Guide]‘.
That’s it. You have successfully installed Windows 8.1 Preview on your desktop PC or laptop using Oracle VirtualBox. If you are not satisfied with VirtualBox, you can also make use of VMWare or any other virtualization software to try out Windows 8.1 virtually on your computer. If you didn’t like Windows 8.1, then you can simply uninstall it from VirtualBox, if you don’t know how to do that, then stay tuned with us – we will be coming up with a tutorial on that pretty soon. Right now, you can share your comments below!
You might also love to check out this post: How to Install Windows 8.1 from USB Drive